Bladder Pain Syndrome
This condition can often go mistaken for a urinary tract infection (UTI), but bladder pain syndrome is not an infection. Due to this confusion, it has been found difficult to diagnose and treat. It is best described as the feeling of pain and pressure in the bladder area. You will most likely experience UTI related symptoms lasting for more than six weeks without infection and cause.
It can be debilitating when it comes to sex; the female body is designed in such a way that your uterus and bladder are so close that sexual intercourse places more pressure on your bladder. Although there is currently no treatment to completely cure this condition, there are available treatments to manage bladder pain syndrome.
- Short-term relief pain medication and transdermal analgesics.
- Lidocaine bladder installations.
- Bladder hydrodistention.
- Physical therapy for pelvic floor muscle tenderness.
- Interstim – transmits pulses to the sacral nerve.
- Uterine division.
If your bladder is working regularly, you can put off urination for some time. This problem with bladder pain syndrome is that it creates a constant state of urgency. Some people with bladder pain syndrome have other health issues such as irritable bowel syndrome, fibromyalgia, and other pain syndromes. The disease can affect your social life, exercise, sleep, and even your ability to work.
Common symptoms for bladder pain syndrome
- Pain during sex.
- The urgency to urinate despite urinating recently.
- Pain in the vulva, vagina, or the area behind the vagina.
- Lower abdomen, lower back, pelvis or urethral pain.
- Bladder pressure and pain that intensifies as your bladder fills up.
Should you be experiencing any of the above symptoms without cause or infection, feel free to set up an appointment. Dr Zinn has treated many women going through the same struggle as you are. There is no need to live in pain and suffering when there is help available. It is good always to pay attention to your health to maintain a peaceful lifestyle and future.